Shared Solar ProgramsVirginia's effort to reduce carbon emissions that contribute to climate change include the introduction of Shared Solar Programs. Through these programs customers are afforded an opportunity to purchase solar generated electricity and receive renewable energy credits associated with their subscription to a shared solar facility.
Each of the links below will provide additional information and access to applicable rules, statutes, application forms and resources.
- Code of Virginia §56-585.1:12 Multi-family Shared Solar Program
- Rules Governing Multi-family Shared Solar Program
Commission Case PUR-2020-00124
A Licensed Subscriber Organization provides a group of customers with an opportunity to purchase solar generated electricity and receive renewable energy credits through a subscription to a shared solar facility.
There are two possible paths to become authorized as a Subscriber Organization:
- Licensed Subscriber Organization – a license granted by the Commission for a Subscriber Organization to own/operate a shared solar facility possessing a nameplate capacity of more than 500 kilowatts.
- Certified Exempt Subscriber Organization – an exemption certificate granted by the Commission for a Subscriber Organization to own/operate a shared solar facility possessing a nameplate capacity of less than 500 kilowatts.
Subscriber Organizations are licensed by applying to the State Corporation Commission under the Shared Solar Program or the Multi-family Shared Solar Program. To be licensed as a Subscriber Organization, the applicant must satisfy the licensing requirements and adhere to the rules of the program accordingly.
There are 4 steps to become licensed as a Subscriber Organization:
- Complete business entity registration or authorization as a foreign entity from Office of the Clerk
- Obtain a license as a Subscriber Organization
- Register with the utility company
- Obtain a minimum of three (3) customer subscriptions
Use the License Application Selection Guide to determine the appropriate program and application form to complete. The application forms include instructions and information on how to submit the license application to the State Corporation Commission.
- Shared Solar Program License Applications
- Multi-family Shared Solar Program License Applications
Questions about these programs or applying to become licensed as a Subscriber Organization may be directed to the Division of Utility Accounting and Finance at SharedSolarProject@scc.virginia.gov or by calling (804) 371-9950.
- Sample Dispute Resolution Procedure
- Consumer Disclosure Guidance Documents
- Low Income Subscription Plan
- Additional Commission resources: