The Entity Formation and Registration Documents page provides a list of different types entities in Virginia and the formation document.The Clerk’s Office is happy to provide general information; we cannot offer legal advice. US Small Business Administration choose a business structure is a great resource for learning more. Also check out Virginia Department of Small Business and Supplier Diversity and Virginia Economic Development Partnership.
You have three filing options:
- File online in real-time at cis.scc.virginia.gov. Check out the CIS Help page for how-to set up an account and submit filings
- Mail documents to P.O. Box 1197, Richmond, VA 23218-1197 or
- Deliver documents to 1300 East Main Street, 1st Floor, Richmond, VA 23219
Types of acceptable payment methods include:
- Online: Credit cards and e-checks
- Mailed: Check or money order
- In-person: Credit card, money order, check, and cash
Notices are sent to the registered office by mail.
All businesses are required maintain a complete physical address including a locality for the registered office. (See How to update registered agent and registered office for details.)
To send mail to a Post Office Box, first request a Statement of Change Registered Agent And/or Registered Office using the Online Forms Request. Then complete and send back the form once you have provided a street address in the first line, the Post Office Box number in the second address line followed by the city/town and zip code. The city/town and zip code must be the same as the registered office street address.