COVID-19 Procedures: All business with the Commission should be through electronic filing systems, email, or by telephone. For public health safety, in-person visits to SCC offices are suspended. Filings or other deliveries are permitted by drop off at main entrance. On-site staff is minimal and processing of such deliveries may be delayed.
Affordable Care ActMany consumers across Virginia have questions about the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, (PPACA) (Public Law. No. 111-148) or the "Affordable Care Act” or “ACA”. This page is presented to assist consumers in better understanding the many changes this sweeping legislation will bring about, and when to expect these changes.
The Bureau of Insurance and other involved agencies are making good progress sorting through the details and interpretations included in the Affordable Care Act, but there are still many unknowns, and many of the details have yet to be fully determined. We encourage you to visit this page and the associated links regularly and often as new information is posted.
- Reinsurance- Virginia's Section 1332 State Innovation Waiver
- Bureau of Insurance Notice: Recent Legislation Affecting Small Employer Group Size (10/21/15)
- Bureau of Insurance Statement Regarding the Extension of Individual and Group Health Insurance Plans (11/19/2014)
- Bureau of Insurance Statement Concerning Policy Renewals and Discontinuances (10/02/2014)
- Bureau of Insurance Letter to All Carriers Who Offered the Option to Policyholders to Extend their 2013 Health Insurance Coverage into 2014 (6/6/2014)
- Bureau of Insurance Statement on Further Extension of Individual and Small Group Health Insurance Plans (3/07/2014)
- Bureau of Insurance Statement on Health Plan Renewals (11/20/2013)
- National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) website on Health Care Reform
- FEMA Special Enrollment Period – See if you qualify
- HealthCare.gov Plan Finder
- HealthCare.gov Rate Review
- Key Features of the Affordable Care Act Provisions
- Information on Essential Health Benefits (EHB) Benchmark Plans
- Search Public Filings to find and review all ACA-related submissions submitted to the Bureau since June 10, 2010 and make public comments regarding health insurance premium rates.
- Find a basic profile of your insurance company and information about Medical Loss Ratios (MLR)
- Medical Loss Ratio Adjustment - Communication to Companies and Interested Parties
As with all your insurance questions, we encourage you to contact us if you have any questions about the Affordable Care Act.