For Exchange Carriers
The Virginia Health Benefit Exchange continues to prepare for its to transition to a state-based exchange (SBE) for plan year 2024. Exchange carriers offer a variety of Qualified Health Plans (QHP) and Qualified Dental Plans (QDP) on the health insurance marketplace for eligible consumers. As Virginia works towards establishing its state-based marketplace, carriers are participating in a variety of forums and activities in preparation for the upcoming transition. The Exchange is hosting Town Hall meetings and providing Frequently Asked Questions to assist the carriers and other stakeholders with transition activities. Use the links below for updates, FAQs and Town Hall presentation slide decks made available through the Exchange.
The Carrier FAQs file provides a cumulative record of questions and answers. The file is updated frequently, but will always include all existing content so everyone has access to all the information.
Carrier Updates provide current conditions affecting HBE carriers. Like the FAQs file, this information is cumulative and updated regularly.
Town Hall Meetings
- HBE Carrier Town Hall – Nov. 16, 2023
- HBE Carrier Town Hall – Sept. 27, 2023
- HBE Carrier Town Hall – Aug. 18, 2023
- HBE Carrier Town Hall – July 26, 2023
- HBE Carrier Town Hall – June 21, 2023
- HBE Carrier Town Hall – May 24, 2023
- HBE Carrier Town Hall – Apr. 29, 2023
- HBE Carrier Town Hall – Mar. 22, 2023
Carrier Ticketing System Town Hall
Insurance carriers participating in the Virginia Health Benefit Exchange (HBE) are required to pay a monthly HBE User Fee to the Virginia Health Benefit Exchange. User Fee payments will continue via the BOI Portal until 2024. User Fee payments due for 2024 coverage and beyond will be made through your carrier account on the Carrier Portal. See HBE-2023-00001– User Fee Assessment Order issued June 20, 2023, for fees due in 2024 and beyond.
Verify that you are paying an HBE User Fee invoice before submitting payment. Appointment Billing invoices may also appear in the portal.
Retrieving Invoice and Submitting Payment
- Log into the Company Appointment Billing Portal using your company’s NAIC # and PIN #.
- If you do not know your company’s PIN, select “Need PIN?” and the PIN contact name and phone number will display.
- If your PIN contact is no longer with the company, you may email BOIPIN@scc.virginia.gov to establish a new PIN contact.
- Once you’ve entered the portal, look for an OPEN invoice status.
- If there is an open invoice status, select the “Pay Online” link, and follow the payment instructions.
- Paying online is the preferred method of payment.
- If you are unable to pay online, you may submit a check. Your check must be accompanied by a copy of the invoice; print a copy of your invoice by selecting “Pay by Check.”
Update the HBE Billing contact address using the Company Address Change Service.
Email us at HBEUserFee@scc.virginia.gov or call us at 804-371-1532 with any questions regarding the payment of the HBE User Fee invoices.