The State Corporation Commission will be closed Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2020, Election Day.
COVID-19 Procedures: All business with the Commission should be through electronic filing systems, email, or by telephone. For public health safety, in-person visits to SCC offices are suspended. Filings or other deliveries are permitted by drop off at main entrance. On-site staff is minimal and processing of such deliveries may be delayed.
Disaster ReadinessInsurance Commissioner Scott White encourages all Virginians to be prepared for storms and natural disasters. Make sure your home, business, or automobile is properly insured and know how to file an insurance claim in the event of property damage. The best time to prepare for a natural disaster is before a storm strikes.
Before the Storm
- Create a detailed inventory of your belongings. Include photos and receipts of your property if you have them. You can use the Inventory Checklist as a guide.
- Review your insurance policy and contact your insurance company if you have any questions about your coverage. You can find your insurance company’s phone number using our Company Lookup.
- Store your home inventory checklist and insurance policy information in a secure, waterproof location.
- Most homeowner’s and renter’s insurance policies do not cover losses due to flooding. Talk with your insurance agent about flood insurance or visit the National Flood Insurance Program website.
- If your home or other insured property was damaged during a storm, contact your insurance company or agent as soon as possible.
- Take photos of your damaged property once it is safe to do so.
- Save the receipts of any emergency repairs that are needed to prevent your property from becoming further damaged.
- If you feel you are treated unfairly, please contact our Property & Casualty Consumer Services team at 804-371-9185 or file a complaint online.
- InsureU Disaster Preparedness Tips and Guides
- National Flood Insurance Program
- Virginia Department of Emergency Management
- When a Disaster Strikes: What to Do After an Insured Homeowners Loss
- Mobile App: When a Disaster Strikes: What to Do After an Insured Homeowners Loss Size: 1.5MB (provides offline access)
- When A Disaster Strikes: What to Do After an Insured Commercial Property Loss
- Mobile App: When a Disaster Strikes: What to Do After an Insured Commercial Property Loss Size: 1.5MB (provides offline access)
We are here to help. If you have general insurance questions or trouble getting your claim paid, our team of specially trained representatives can assist you.