Prepare for Potential Extreme Spring Weather, SCC Urges 


MAR 22, 2024

RICHMOND – The arrival of spring can usher in tornadoes, strong winds, hailstorms, flash floods, lightning and other extreme weather. Severe weather can strike anywhere and anytime. Advance planning is the key to protecting yourself, your loved ones and your property, both physically and financially.

The State Corporation Commission’s (SCC) Bureau of Insurance (Bureau) encourages Virginians to plan now for potentially extreme spring weather. “Assess your risk and make sure you have the insurance coverage you need if severe weather causes damage to your home, business, vehicles or other property,” said Virginia Insurance Commissioner Scott A. White. “If you have questions, contact your insurance agent or company or the Bureau of Insurance.”

The Bureau encourages Virginians to consider the following:

  • Review your insurance policy and update it, if needed. Understand what it does and does not cover, as well as any deductibles you may have to pay when filing a claim.
  • Create a detailed inventory of your belongings including photos, serial numbers, videos and receipts.
  • Keep electronic copies of your homeowners, auto and other insurance policies with your home inventory and, if possible, store paper files in a safe, fireproof and waterproof place. Take these documents with you if you must evacuate. These records will contain your policy numbers and the phone numbers of your insurance companies in case you have questions or need to file a claim.

Keep in mind that homeowners and renters insurance policies issued in Virginia typically do not cover damage resulting from floods, surface water or storm surges. The federal government, however, does sell insurance for direct flood and flood-related damage to homeowners, renters and businesses in eligible communities through its National Flood   Insurance Program (NFIP). There is typically a 30-day waiting period before a flood insurance policy takes effect. To learn more, contact your insurance agent; call the NFIP at 877-336-2627; or visit

Automobile other-than-collision insurance coverage, often called "comprehensive" insurance coverage, helps pay to repair or replace vehicles if they are stolen or damaged by such things as fire, water, wind, hail, vandalism, glass breakage, falling objects or contact with an animal.

Know what to do if your home, business, vehicles or other property are damaged as a result of a severe weather event. The Bureau recommends the following:

  • Once the danger or risk has passed, contact your insurance company or agent as soon as possible.
  • Take reasonable steps to prevent further damage to your property once it is safe to do so.
  • Record all damage to your property with photographs, notes and repair-related receipts.

The Bureau offers free consumer guides for homeowners and commercial property owners with information about what to do when a disaster strikes. These and many other consumer insurance guides are available on the Bureau’s website at

The Bureau’s specially trained staff can assist consumers with their insurance-related questions and concerns. To learn more, contact the Consumer Services Section of the Bureau’s Property and Casualty Division toll-free at 1-877-310-6560 or in Richmond at 804-371-9185.

For additional emergency preparedness information relating to various types of disasters and hazards, visit the Virginia Department of Emergency Management website at


Contact: Katha Treanor, 804-371-9141