COVID-19 Procedures: All business with the Commission should be through electronic filing systems, email, or by telephone. For public health safety, in-person visits to SCC offices are suspended. Filings or other deliveries are permitted by drop off at main entrance. On-site staff is minimal and processing of such deliveries may be delayed.
Thanksgiving Holiday Closure: The State Corporation Commission will close at noon Wednesday, Nov. 25, 2020 and will remained closed through Friday, Nov. 27, 2020 in observance of Thanksgiving. The SCC will resume normal business hours Monday Nov. 30, 2020.
Virginia Health Benefit Exchange Preps for Open Enrollment Period; Exchange Advisory Committee Named
OCT 08, 2020
Richmond - The Virginia Health Benefit Exchange continues preparations for the November 1 open enrollment period for 2021 health plans. The Virginia Exchange will operate on the federal exchange – HealthCare.gov – for 2021.
The Virginia Health Benefit Exchange was created by the 2020 Virginia General Assembly to be operated as a new division within the State Corporation Commission (SCC). It is expected to transition to a full state-based exchange by plan year 2023.
This month and throughout the transition, the Virginia Exchange will perform consumer outreach and education activities and offer consumer assistance. Last month the SCC appointed Victoria I. Savoy to direct the division.
A 15-member advisory committee is in place to advise and provide recommendations to the Commission and the director in carrying out the purposes and duties of the exchange.
The five members named by the Commission are:
- Doug Gray - Virginia Associations of Health Plans
- Lee Biedrycki – BeneFinder, an insurance agency
- Sabrina Corlette – Georgetown University Health Policy Institute
- Scott N. Castro – Medical Society of Virginia
- Kenn Penn – ChamberSolutions (part of Virginia Chamber of Commerce)
The five members named by the Governor on September 4 are:
- Chiquita Brooks-LaSure – Manatt Health Strategies
- Elizabeth Cunningham – Virginia Legal Aid Society
- Ikeita Cantu Hinojosa – formerly of D.C. Health Benefit Exchange Authority
- Starla Kiser – Dickenson County Behavioral Health Services
- Jane Norwood Kusiak – Virginia Health Care Foundation (board of advisors)
The five non-voting ex-officio members (or their designees) identified by statute are:
- Scott White – Commissioner of Insurance
- Karen Kimsey – Department of Medical Assistance Services Director
- M. Norman Oliver – State Health Commissioner
- Duke Storen – Commissioner of the Department of Social Services
- Daniel Carey – Secretary of Health and Human Resources
The Virginia Exchange will be an online marketplace where qualified individuals can shop for, compare and enroll in health insurance coverage. Additionally, through the marketplace, small business employers may enroll eligible employees directly through qualified health plan issuers, qualified dental plan issuers, or licensed agents as established by the Virginia Exchange.
Contact: Ken Schrad, 804-371-9858
NOV 18, 2020
SCC: Especially Important to Protect Yourself Financially During This Year’s Holiday Season
NOV 04, 2020
SCC’s Bureau of Insurance Reminds Drivers to Watch Out For One of Autumn’s Greatest Hazards: Deer
OCT 30, 2020
New Balance Billing Law Takes Effect January 1, 2021; Applications for Opt-in Plans Now Being Accepted/Arbitrator Applications Coming Soon
OCT 29, 2020
SCC Urges Virginians to Prepare for Shopping for Health Insurance
OCT 27, 2020