Responsibilities of the Division of Energy Regulation
- reviewing rate applications filed by investor-owned
utilities and member-owned cooperatives and preparing testimony for
rate cases before the Commission;
- monitoring utility construction projects and reviewing
applications for construction of transmission lines 138 kilovolts and above,
electric generating units, and intra-state natural gas pipelines;
- monitoring distribution system performance of electric
- investigating consumer complaints regarding electric,
natural gas, and water and sewer utilities under the SCC's jurisdiction;
- providing expert technical assistance and public
policy recommendations relative to the the Virginia
Electric Utility Regulation Act.
The Division of Energy Regulation operates within Virginia's laws and regulations. Specifically, Title 56 of the Code of Virginia, addresses Public Service Companies and provides the framework under which the Division functions. In addition to statutory provisions, the Division of Energy Regulation works within regulations established through the Virginia Administrative Code.