Skip to main content
SCC Banner Image
 |   |   |   |     Tyler Building
Bureau of Insurance

For Producers

The Agents Licensing Section handles all licensing processes for individuals and business entities. This section screens applications, issues producer and public adjuster licenses, tracks appointments, registers navigators, monitors regulatory requirements for licensing, and responds to informational requests concerning insurance producers. There are approximately 230,000 individual insurance agents, 14,000 insurance agencies, and 1,500 insurance companies conducting business in Virginia.

Visit the Online Services page to access all electronic processes.

Important Notices:

  • Insurance Agencies Designated Licensed Producers
    • Effective July 1, 2016, insurance agencies are required to maintain a Designated Licensed Producer (“DLP”) responsible for the agency's compliance with insurance laws and regulations. The DLP must be an employee, officer, or director of the agency. With respect to a business entity holding certain types of a limited lines license, the DLP is not required to be an employee, officer, or director of the vendor or lessor. Business entities are required within 30 calendar days to report the removal of the DLP and the name of the new DLP. This makes DLP requirements uniform among various lines of insurance.

      Review and make updates to the business entity DLP (Supporting Agent) via Sircon’s Compliance Express service by accessing Link logo and clicking on Maintain your firm association link located on the menu on the left side of the page.

  • Discontinuation of Automobile Club Licensing
    • Effective July 1, 2016, Virginia repeals statutes relating to the licensure of automobile clubs by the State Corporation Commission, including provisions regarding the authority of insurance agents to negotiate automobile club contracts on behalf of licensed automobile clubs and the issuance of guaranteed arrest bond certificates by an automobile club or association.

Federal Training Requirements

  • Flood Insurance
  • Long Term Care (LTC) Certification
  • Long Term Care Partnership
    • Virginia Regulation 14VAC5-200-205External Link logo - State Long Term Care Insurance Partnership Program
      Nonresident agents who comply with their home state requirement need only take a two-hour Virginia specific course to meet the requirement in Virginia.

Approved Courses Inquiry