Office of the Managed Care Ombudsman
The Office of the Managed Care Ombudsman was established in 1999 under
§38.2-5904 of the Code of Virginia. The Office helps Virginia consumers whose health insurance
is provided by a Managed Care Health Insurance Plan (MCHIP), such as a Health Maintenance
Organization or a Preferred Provider Organization. The principal responsibilities
include the following:
Protecting the interests of consumers whose health insurance is provided by a MCHIP
- Assisting consumers in understanding their rights and how to resolve problems.
- Answering inquiries from consumers, health care providers, and other individuals.
- Providing information on MCHIPs, types of MCHIPs, mandated benefits, utilization
review procedures and available appeal options.
- Assisting consumers in filing appeals, including utilization review appeals.
- Ensuring consumers have access to the Office and receive timely responses.
Contact Information for the Managed Care Ombudsman:
If you are a consumer, health care provider or other individual with a general question
or have an inquiry regarding MCHIPs, managed care, health insurance or related subjects,
you can contact the Office via the following:
- Toll free phone 1-877-310-6560, select option 1
- Fax (804) 371-9944
- Office of the Managed Care Ombudsman, Bureau of Insurance, P.O. Box 1157, Richmond,
Help from the Office of the Managed Care Ombudsman:
If you are a consumer and would like assistance in appealing an adverse decision
rendered by an MCHIP, you can initiate contact with the Office as described above.
In order for the Office to formally help you file an appeal, you will need to complete
a Life and Health Insurance Complaint/Appeal
Form which documents your written authorization. We suggest you call the
Office prior to completing the form. If your problem is outside the scope of the
Office, the staff will refer you to another section or agency for assistance.
Life and Health Insurance Complaint/Appeal
How to Appeal a Denial
If Your Coverage is Self-Insured
Office of Independent External Review