File a Complaint by Mail or Fax
Select the applicable form below to submit a complaint by mail or fax. If you file
this way, your complaint will not be on the online portal. Please attach copies
of all supporting documentation to the completed complaint form. Be sure to keep
your original documents for your records.
The forms below are available in Acrobat portable document format (PDF). You may
complete the forms using your computer before printing. Use your TAB key to navigate
through the forms.
Property and Casualty Insurance Complaint Form
Life and Health Insurance Complaint Form*
Formulario de Queja o Recurso de Apelación
por Seguro de Vida y Seguro de Salud
Ethics and Fairness Complaint Form
(Provider complaints involving the participating health
care provider’s contract with an insurance carrier. The issue must not be an individual
controversy, but must involve an issue that constitutes a general business practice.)
*NOTE TO HEALTH CARE PROVIDERS: If you are submitting
a complaint on behalf of a particular patient, you must obtain the insured's authorization
in order for our office to contact the insurance company on his or her behalf. If
you are experiencing problems with an insurance company which are more general in
nature, or which involve a number of patients and/or claims, please call our office
before submitting the complaint.
When you submit a complaint, please be sure to provide us with the information listed
below. This will allow us to handle your complaint much quicker.
- Your name, address, and the name of the insured person (if different)
- The name and address of the insurance company and/or the agent/agency
- Policy or group certificate number, if applicable
- Claim number and date of injury or loss
- Type of insurance
- A detailed explanation of your problem (i.e. what happened, who was involved, and
why you think the company or agent is wrong)
- How you tried to resolve the problem
- What you think the company or agent should do (pay a claim, make a refund, etc.)
to resolve your problem
To thoroughly review your concerns, we ask that you provide as much detail as possible
when you submit your complaint. You may mail or fax your complaint. Please attach
copies of all supporting documentation to the completed complaint form. Be sure
to keep your original documents for your records.
- Fax Information: The Life and Health Consumer Services fax number is (804) 371-9944.
The Property and Casualty Consumer Services fax number is (804) 371-9349.
Use our fax cover sheet.
- Mailing Address: State Corporation Commission, Virginia Bureau of Insurance, P.O.
Box 1157, Richmond, VA 23218.
- Street Address: State Corporation Commission, Virginia Bureau of Insurance, 1300
East Main Street, Richmond, VA 23219.
If you wish to discuss your complaint or receive assistance on how to file a complaint,
you can call our toll-free number, 1-877-310-6560, or contact the section directly.
You may reach our Life and Health Consumer Services Section at (804) 371-9691 or
the Property and Casualty Consumer Services Section at (804) 371-9185.